Interpreting the Synchronous Message
When trying to interpret a synchronicity, first look for any significant features that symbolize something in your life. Next, try to relate your observation to your current situation. For example, whenever I see a hummingbird, I pay close attention to it because, to me, it symbolizes my grandmother whose spirit name was ‘Hummingbird’. The hummingbird may flit about playfully as if to say “Hi! I love you!” or fly back and forth dramatically as if it is trying to desperately get my attention. These things mean something to me! By examining my current state of mind, my thoughts at that moment or the current state of my life, the message can be received and then interpreted.
Another example is the bald eagle – indigenous people believe that the bald eagle is the messenger of the Creator. If we see a bald eagle soaring free in sky, that is likely a positive sign. However, if you see a bald eagle eating garbage, that might be a sign that you need to take care of your health.
Recognizing the synchronicities and using your intuition to interpret them can be done by anyone, anywhere, at anytime. It can be harder to learn how to do this when you are in a co-creating state (near other people) but you are in no way at a disadvantage. When people learn to recognize synchronicities in a traditional Vision Quest, they will still have to learn how to do so in everyday situations with other people present.
Once we learn to recognize the synchronicities and trust our intuition, Vision Quests can be performed with little effort in the middle of a busy city with thousands of people around. In fact, to people outside of the Native American culture, these daily mini-quests would look a lot like meditating. Traditionally, Natives tend to leave an offering and/or have a smudge during their practice.
An Exercise in Receiving Messages
If you are interested in learning how to recognize the synchronicities and interpret the messages, you can practice using this exercise:
1. Find a quiet spot. Outdoors is preferred but not necessary. Sit comfortably and give thanks to everything you see around. Be grateful for its presence. Breathe deeply. Focus on the beauty around you. Enjoy the colours, the sounds of the environment, the smells, and the textures.
2. Set your intention. In gratitude, set your intention for this exercise in a positive manner, perhaps stating something such as, “I will open myself up to the universe, and will recognize synchronistic messages when they are offered to me.” You may also offer traditional tobacco to the Earth if you wish, and may burn the tobacco or a smudge stick.
3. Do not EXPECT anything. Go into this exercise with absolutely no expectations. If nothing happens, that’s okay. Just keep practicing.
4. Sit in silence, focus your thoughts on your surroundings, and allow your mind to wander between those thoughts. Keep your mind focused on the environment around you and try to stop your inner dialogue from digressing to personal issues or worries by focusing on the color of the sky, the smell of the breeze, or the cool dirt on your feet.
5. Recognizing the synchronicities. When a sign arises, identify it and then mentally analyse what you saw. It may take a few days to fully understand the message. If nothing stands out to you as synchronous, try again the following day.
Being open to recognizing the synchronicities, receiving the message, and having the self awareness to interpret them will help you find your own internal compass. Recognizing the synchronicities is the first step, the second step is learning to trust your intuition enough to interpret the message.
To ensure you never miss a new article from Celestinevision.com, click here to subscribe to our newsletter.